Site Admin user management
We have made updates to user management and roles across the Red multisite. These updates meet two primary needs:
- Site administrators now have the capability to add, delete and manage users. You will no longer need to request adding new users. Please read the instructions below on this process.
- We have updated each Role capability to more closely match the WordPress core roles and to streamline the ability to create and update roles across the network.
Understanding the different roles on Red
- Administrator – somebody who has access to all content management functions and a defined set of administration features within a single site. This includes managing users, but does not include plugin activation or other various site settings.
- Editor – somebody who can publish and manage posts & pages including those of other users and the Home page/Splash page.
- Author – somebody who can publish and manage their own posts, but not pages. Can edit but not delete published content.
- Contributor – somebody who can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.
- Subscriber – somebody who can read content behind a login.
- Profile Editor — this role was created specifically for Red to allow units to give faculty and staff the capability to manage their own Profile posts only.
Adding New Users
Users with the Administrator role on a site can add users to their Red websites and manage what role the user has on the site.
Please follow these steps to add users — it is most important to check the box that allows you to Skip Confirmation Email. This prevents the user from getting a WordPress standard email that gives misinformation regarding passwords. All users must be added with their UIC NetId and email.
- In your site dashboard, under Users, select Add New.
- There are 2 options for adding Users: Add Existing User and Add New User. The terms Existing and New apply to the user status on the Red network, not just your website.
- If you are not certain if the user is new or existing, you can begin to add the user netid in the Add Existing User field “Email or Username” — a wheel animation will spin, as if searching for the user — if the user is in the network on another site(s), you will see matching user information and can select the correct netid (email) that shows. Select the appropriate access Role the new user should have and remember to check the box to Skip Confirmation Email. Then click the Add Existing User button.
*If a user doesn’t already exist on the network, nothing will appear as a suggested NetID/Email once the wheel animation stops (after typing at least two characters into the datafield).
- If the user is not in the network yet, use the Add New User fields to add a valid UIC NetId for the Username and the corresponding UIC email address. Since users login through Bluestem, you may not use any information that does not match their UIC NetId and email for their Red account. Select the appropriate access Role the new user should have and remember to check the box to Skip Confirmation Email. Then click the Add New User button.
A Note about Adding a New User
Please check to see if a user is an “Existing User” on the Red network before adding as a “New User” (see step 3 above). If you try to add an already “Existing User” as a “New User” (via the New User section form of Add User), it will claim the “user has been added,” when in reality that particular user will NOT have been added with permissions to the site.
Editing a User's Role
Administrators can upgrade/downgrade other users’ permissions/roles within the site. Please follow the following steps to change a current user’s permissions on a site.
- After signing in as an Administrator, click on Users from the dashboard column on the left of the screen.
- Select the checkbox(s) next to the user(s) whose role you want to edit.
- Click on the Change Role to… drop down (it can be found above the table listing every user and just to the right of the Apply button) and chose the new role from the dropdown you want assigned to that particular user(s).
- After selecting the new role from the drop down, click the Change button just to the right of the drop down.
The list of users will automatically update and you will notice that the user is now only assigned their new role.